Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wyoming scenery & the Jackalope























After we left Cheyenne, we try through more of Wyoming.  It was very desolate and windy.  We were blowing all over the road.  There were some small towns dotted here and there but for the most part it was barren land.  We stopped at this one gas station out in the middle of no where.  Inside the gas station, there were all these dead heads of animals.  One of the heads was a Jackalope.  It looks like a gian rabbit with antlers.  I took a picture of it.  I would have taken other pictures but I didn't want to be the "tourist."  I spoke with the guy at the gas station.  I told him I didn't know that they really existed.  I thought they were made up, but they are real.  I bought a postcard on the Jackalope and this is what is says on the postcard:  The first white man to see this singular fauna speciment was a trapper named Kenneth Blackner in 1829.  When he told of it later he was promptly denounced as a liar.  An odd trait of the Jackalope is its ability to imitate the human voice.  Cowboys singing to their herds at night have been startled to hear their lonesome melodies repeated faithfylly from some nearby hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment