Saturday, August 25, 2012

Lamoni, Iowa


We drove from Kansas north on Route 35 through Iowa to get to Route 80.  We stopped over at an exit in Lamoni, Iowa because I had seen an Amish horse and buggy and I wanted the kids to see what Amish people looked like.  We pulled off the exit and drove into town.  We saw a gas station and I saw some Amish children.  It was a young boy about 12 or 13 years old and two young girls maybe younger than him.   The young boy was driving an open flat bed cart powered by two work horses. We saw that they had just delivered watermelons to a local gas station because we saw big boxes of watermelons on the back of their cart.  I had to get a picture of this.  I know from reading about the Amish that they do no like to have their picture taken.  I had to do this as discreetly as possible.  I told Chano to pull over to the gas station and lift of the hood of the RV like we were checking out the RV.  He did this and I discreetly took a picture or I thought.  As I snapped the picture, the young girl looked directly at me.  My kids and I were fascinated by these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment